Friday, October 12, 2012

Social Bookmarking Soulmate

So today I found my “Social Bookmarking Soulmate.” My mate came in a slightly different form than I expected though. First of all my so-called mate is a male and from Berlin (I think.) At first this concept of a “Social Bookmarking Soulmate” seemed odd, irrelevant, and completely different than anything I’ve done before. However, as I began searching the site, Diigo.com for my so called "bookmark soulmate," I wanted to find someone who shared my mutual interest in fashion, so I began searching for various tags that would elicit the closest results to my interests. Eventually, I stumbled upon Peter Derrt’s profile. Immediately, I was captivated by his recent bookmark for Carinne Roitfeld’s  Fashion Book and looking over his recent tags: “berlin,” “london fashion week,” “london, ” “new your fashion week”,  and “styling.”

Unfortunately, he isn’t that active in all facets of the site, in terms of commenting and such, which is unfortunate. But, luckily Peter has been very active in bookmarking on the site in general, having bookmarked 601 links since he became a member in February 2010. His bookmarks span a wide range of topics, not all of which are perfectly in line with my interests, but many of them do. For example, I don’t think I’d be the type to tag” von bardonitz” or “Puma,” but he tags more items in line with fashion than not. He is definitely an avid bookmarker, averaging a bookmark every few days. The thing is, he isn’t very organized in his tags and links, and they seem very much like a sporadic mess of somewhat fashion related tags with a mix of random keywords as well.

 Despite the lack of organization, and getting past the difficulty of actually sifting through the links I was able to find a few sites that I will bookmark for my own collection. The first site, is Topshop’s very own fashion blog, called “Inside Out!” Surprisingly, I’ve never even knew that Topshop had a blog, but I’m glad I did! The blog is designed, very well—aesthetically pleasing, and actually has some pretty legit content! I was immediately drawn by Peter’s specific bookmark for Andy Warhol’s “Polaroid Big Shot” link for a display of a unique selection of photographs from the late iconic artist. I think that from now on, this will definitely be one of the blogs I check often considering they’re such an iconic fashion brand retailer in general. I also saw that he bookmarked one of my favorite blogs and one of my new favorite stores all in one so that was really exciting! Basically, there’s this blogger called Susie Bubble that has garnered a ton of press and fame for her fashion choices and this story is specifically about how she styled some of the window displays of a UK based store called Cos.

This is just one of several examples why this person would be a fantastic resource for finding new and old fashion related content not limited to news stores, blogs, or just mere photos. I suggest you go on diigo too and find your own “Social Bookmarking Soulmate,” you’ll never know who you may end up connecting with!

No comments:

Post a Comment