Friday, October 5, 2012

I FEEL GREAT!


I FEEL GREAT. 

But don't get me wrong, my day didn't initially start like this. 

First, I woke up groggily as ever. 6:45, 7:00, 7:15, 7:30, 7:45, 8:00, 8:15, 8:30… (these are all the various alarm times I set on my phone by the way).  I keep on pressing the snooze button, once, twice, three times… every 15 minutes until I finally get up at 8:30. UGH. The dreaded, physical act of actually sitting up and getting up out of bed is always the hardest. Yes, you know what I’m talking about. So, I slowly get ready for work, feeling more exhausted than ever, but keep telling myself, just get ready, you only work two more days and then it’s the weekend!

Fast-forward to the workplace at the online fashion magazine (name removed for privacy purposes). I finally get to the office and meet the other interns. But we notice that for some odd reason the internet isn’t working! Hmm… what’s going on? We figured it was just a glitch in the network connection to our intern room so we don’t think too much about it and we try to wait it out. But soon, we discover it has affected the entire office! A whole ONLINE magazine staff without internet? How will we function? Well, soon enough, we discover the problem isn’t easy cakes so the C.O.O. decides to send people home while others relocated to a nearby coworker’s home to resume their work. So what about the interns? We’re left free to go! And by this time it’s only 11:30 am might I add. WOW. So my not so great day turns into an AWESOME day. The other interns and myself ponder of how we should spend our first Thursday off ever? What ever shall we do? We eventually settle on getting none other than pedicures! Oh my, this was wonderful. This was JUST the pampering I needed after such an exhausting week. We continue to grab a delicious lunch at King’s Road Café, shop a bit on Melrose, and then grabbed a late dinner at Bottega Louie. All of which wouldn’t have been possible if the internet had continued working in the office. The point of the matter is, companies in general, but especially online based [fashion] companies rely so much on technology/internet that without its existence wouldn’t have existed in the first place. I mean, can you imagine, 15 years ago, sending away a whole office just because the internet wasn't’ working?  

It’s amazing how quickly times can change….

No comments:

Post a Comment